While naturopathic medicine cannot cure cancer, there is scientific and clinical evidence that it is useful in combination with conventional care. Such benefits include:
- Reduce and manage short-term and long-term side effects of chemotherapy and/or radiation treatment including:nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, fatigue, loss of appetite, weight changes, brain fog, numbness and tingling (peripheral neuropathy), urinary incontinence, dermatitis, heart and lung complications. By effectively reducing and managing side effects of treatment, patients are able to better tolerate and stay on course with their treatment plan to obtain optimal outcomes.
- Support post-surgical recovery by reducing swelling and pain, fatigue, loss of appetite, weight loss, preventing risk of infection and enhancing wound healing.
- Enhance effectiveness of conventional treatment by optimizing your immune function, hormonal balance, blood sugar balance, detoxification, and other anti-cancer pathways that influence the body’s ability to protect and fight cancer. Optimizing the body’s self-healing and anti-cancer processes are critical components of any cancer prevention and treatment plan.
- Reduce risk of recurrence by addressing modifiable risk factors such as diet, physical activity and other environmental and lifestyle factors that can contribute to the development and progression of cancer. A naturopathic doctor can help to guide you through survivorship, how to protect yourself, and build a strong anti-cancer defense system that will reduce your risk of recurrence and help you lead a healthy and meaningful life following cancer.
- Improve your quality of life in the areas such as general, physical, psychological, sexual, cognitive, and social well-being. More specifically, a cancer diagnosis can strongly impact the emotional health of patients, families, and caregivers. A naturopathic doctor can help to support diagnosis and treatment induced stress and anxiety by utilizing mind-body techniques, supportive nutritional and botanical supplements, and optimizing lifestyle factors such as sleep, diet, and physical activity.